Sunday, January 19, 2014

"You don't have a leg to stand on"

Well, we have made it to the one week mark and are very happy to have this first week behind us and look forward to a week from now with more mending and progressing.  With all the temple missionaries out of town or entertaining family we thought we would be on our own this week.  But with the Area Offices here and the CCM (MTC) we have about 50 Senior Couple Missionaries serving within walking distance of us.  Doctor and Sister Craigon, Senior Missionary Doctor for one of the missions here, brought in dinner for us on Tuesday, and checked up on us.  We had never met them before.  Doctor and Sister Cameron brought us the walker on Monday and checked up on us.  They are the Doctor for another of the missions here. 
 I am able to get to and from the bathroom much easier than trying to get the wheel chair down the hall.  By Friday, I am now able to get myself off the bed, into the bathroom, and back all by myself.  I'm growing up!
     On Thursday morning, Lon was concerned that my leg was real hot and worried about infection so he went to the CCM and had Sister Burbidge, the nurse at the CCM, come over to check it out.  She called the Doctor and they agreed that I should come in the next morning for him to look at it and ordered some antibiotics for me to start that evening.  You have no idea the fear that ran through me knowing that I had to get into a car and out of a car and into the Doctor's office and then back into a car and out again.  Lon worried all night about keeping my right leg straight as our wheel chair has no leg brace to hold it up.
    Friday morning we were ready at 9:30.  Lon figured out that he could use one of our trash cans to support the leg, and if I needed it, I also had my barf bucket with me.  Smart man!
I look like a missionary ready to go to work, don't I?

 
 Elder and Sister Burbidge picked us up and drove us to the Doctor's office which is right next to the hospital.  We had about an hour to wait for the Doctor as he was in surgery and it was fun to hear Sister Burbidge tell of some of the things she faces having to deal with all those young missionaries.  She thinks that futbol (soccer) should be banned along with basketball and a few other activities.  The Doctor was very pleased with the knee.  He said that there was no fluid under the knee cap and my mobility was good and to keep doing what we are doing.  Of course, Elder Thompson complained that when he did the exercises with me I complained and whined, but when the Doctor did them I was a perfect patient.  I don't think the Doctors believed him but he tried to get their sympathy.
 
This is Elder and Sister Burbidge from Murray, Utah bringing us home from the Doctors
Sister Burbidge thought the trash can was inventive.

Elder Thompson is becoming quite a good cook.  He made his first crock pot meal and we enjoyed it very much.  We may try spaghetti this week.  That sounds good to me.  Our neighbors brought in their version of Taco Soup tonight, George, it was nothing compared to yours. 
     The trip totaled me and I took a good nap while Lon went for a walk.  He took some photos of some of the rain gutters that we pass each time we walk.  The one that I fell into was one of the better ones.  It will ever remain a mystery how it ever happened. 
 
This is the one that got me!!
     We do walk on the road because as the next pictures show, you can be on a sidewalk when all of a sudden it doesn't exist anymore.

We have decided that this is the public restroom along the walking trail.  There is always someone using it.

     Well, that about sums up our week, not too exciting but all is well.  We are in good spirits and just taking each day as it comes.  We know that "though trials and tribulations oft have come my way, I can feel Him near me as I kneel to pray.  I've a testimony, sacred, dear to me. One that lies within my soul, something I cannot see".  I haven't sang that song for many years but those words are always a comfort to me.  Our Father in Heaven is in charge and we are definitely in His hands.  Thank you for your prayers, we are feeling the power of them.  We love you all and hope that you have a wonderful week.  May God bless you with those righteous desires of your heart.  Love Lon and Nancy, Grandma and Grandpa, Dad and Mom

2 comments:

  1. We love your blog. Thank you for keeping us up to date. We are glad you are doing so well, and that Lon is learning to cook. Should I send him the recipe for the Chocolate Pecan Pie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can think of less painful ways to take a break from the Temple..Lon I have a good chili recipe. Virgil
    Sister Soto has been nursing a back problem for sometime, It is now to the point where if the steroid shot she gets next week doesn't help, she will have to see a orthopedic surgeon. We are praying for both of you!!! Mona

    ReplyDelete