Saturday, February 22, 2014

One great week!

     We have had a wonderful week with good news from the doctor and special visitors from El Salvador.  But first, today is the 40th birthday of our oldest child, Ginger.  We are not old enough to be the parents of a 40 year old .  We don't know how the years have gone by so fast.  Ginger is a special young woman and we are so thankful that she is ours.
     We went to see the doctor on Thursday the 20th.  We started with x-rays and then Dr. Amenabar examined the knee, pushing and pulling and bending.  He was very pleased at the progress.  I have a 90 degree bend in the knee.  I can now put all my weight on both legs and I am to really concentrate and
walk without a limp.
The Dr. has me doing a few more exercises to get the leg completely straight.  I am about 15 degrees from achieving this.  I have no other brace, no wheel chair, and will only need to use the walker for a few days till I am more steady on my feet.  With all the pushing and pulling and bending that the Dr. did, I didn't make it to the temple that afternoon.  I stayed home and iced and rested to I could go on Friday afternoon.
     But first, Friday morning we had visitors from El Salvador.  Our El Salvadorian granddaughter, Paola Figueroa came to Guatemala for a vacation.  Paola has had some severe back problems and has been flat in bed with a brace on for months.  It was so good to see her up and about.
     She is traveling with two friends, Aida Palacios and Hermana Gomez.  Aida serves in the office of the temple in El Salvador and is the Young Women's President in our ward there.  Hermana Gomez sang with us in the Stake Choir and was a regular in the temple, along with her parents and sister.
                                                               Aida Palacios
Hermana Gomez
     These three came by Pulman tour bus and are heading to Antique for two days.  We wished we could go with them, they are so fun to be around.  They will have a great time.  It was so good to see them and get those wonderful hugs.  We really love these girls.
 
Paola brought us a wonderful surprise also.
Home made pupusas and curtido from her mom's kitchen (the best in El Salvador)
and a supply of kolashapan, our favorite drink.  We have been so spoiled. 
     They left about 11:00 and we got ready for our afternoon shift at the temple.  I no longer need to go in the trench coat.
I used to think that our apartment was very close to the temple, but the walk over today was very long.  I was glad to sit down when I got there.  I lasted for 3 1/2 hours and then the walk home was even longer than the walk over.  But we are so happy to be rid of the wheel chair.
     We had another wonderful surprise at the temple.  Three men from El Salvador came to the temple and we were able go visit with them and get those brasos (hugs) from dear friends:  Hermano Montepeque,  an obrero and works in the office; Hermano Pena, a member of our ward in El Salvador; and Hermano Rivas who was the area seventy when we arrived here.  We are learning to love the people here in Guatemala, but our dear friends from El Salvador will always have a very warm spot in our hearts.  What a wonderful day.
     Well, today is Saturday and I stayed home to ice and rest these legs again so I can make it to church tomorrow.  My knee doesn't hurt at all today, just all the muscles that I haven't used for 6 weeks.  We are so thankful for the miracles that we have received.  Elder Thompson whipped us up another wonderful stew for today.  It is nice to be able to help him a little more now.  I actually did the dishes after he left today.  We will take each day and try not to overdue.  We are so thrilled with the progress and don't want a set back. 
     We are so thankful to be here in Guatemala, serving in this temple.  You are always in our prayers and we thank you for your prayers in our behalf.  We send our love, Lon and Nancy, Dad and Mom, Grandpa and Grandma

1 comment:

  1. Aahhhhh. Kolashampan and real pupusas - and visitors from El Salvador. You guys must be in heaven.

    ReplyDelete