Monday, September 29, 2014

A bump in the road, actually only a pebble!

Dear Family and Friends:
     Our week started out normal.  It was a week with lots of thunder storms each afternoon and evening so we enjoyed our morning walks on Monday and Tuesday.  We had the morning shift on Wednesday but were able to get in a short walk before the storms began.  Then came Thursday the 25th.
     It was a beautiful, clear morning and we started out on our walk.  We had gotten about 6 blocks from home when I stepped on a pebble with my left foot.  That left ankle must still be very weak from the break because the pebble caused the ankle to roll and down I went, again.  It felt like a recurring nightmare as I again landed on the right knee.  The wires that are holding my knee cap together broke through the skin and down I went.  Of course, I fainted and when I came to, the minears kicked in and I "fed the fish" for the next couple of hours.  Lon had lots of help this time and the people were so sweet.  The ambulance took us to the hospital where Dr. Amenabar (the surgeon) sewed up the knee again.  The wire had broken the first scar so I now have stitches on top of the scar.
  I was hooked up to an IV with medicine to get the nausea under control.  It was a very bad minears attack and it took two hours for the medicine to work.  That was worse than the twisted ankle or the bloody knee.  We arrived home from the hospital a little after 2 PM and missed our afternoon/evening shift in the temple.  The Burks covered for us.
     We have again witnessed a miracle in our lives.  Usually a bad minears attack would put me in bed for 3 days, but after a good nights sleep, we were able to do the morning shift on Friday morning for the Burks and our usual morning shift on Saturday.  We are so thankful for the Priesthood power and the miracles that are blessing our lives.  We know that we are in the loving arms of our Heavenly Father.
     Sister Barlow, who leaves tomorrow morning for home, has put it into perspective for me.  "I want to be the kind of woman that makes Satan lament, Oh crap, she got out of bed again today."  I figure that I am doing something right and touching a life or two and that has Satan worried and he is trying to get me to go home.  But I have been blessed with the stubborn genes of my Grandmothers on both sides of my family tree  and I am content to serve here with my eternal companion.
     Both Friday and Saturday mornings were very busy at the temple.  We had people everywhere.  We closed early because of the Women's Conference.  We didn't have a speaking assignment this week so we had a very relaxing Sunday and we are both recovering from our newest "adventure" here in Guatemala.  (Just wish that our "adventures" didn't have to include the hospital) 
     Right now, it is raining cats and dogs, President Thompson is cooking Chicken Lasagna, jello, sausage gravy for tomorrow morning, and Fruit cocktail cake and I am in charge of the laundry.  It is a nice P-day.
     We finally got a photo with the new Temple Presidency last Sunday. 
 Not a bad looking group.
Los Roberts, Los Burks, Los Thompsons
     I will close with my favorite line from the Women's Conference, Live the Gospel Joyfully.  We send our love and we thank you for your prayers in our behalf.  We love the Gospel and we love serving here in this temple.  Have a wonderful week. Love Grandpa and Grandma Thompson, Dad and Mom, Lon and Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment